All Stories

Samsung gets aggressive: unveils first Windows 8 phone, threatens Apple over LTE
/ August 30, 2012 8:25 am

Samsung Electronics is in no mood to quietly accept its massive legal loss against Apple. Today it became the first handset maker to announce a Windows 8 smartphone, jumping ahead of the highly anticipated launch by Nokia.

The Samsung ATIV S was unveiled at the IFA conference underway in Berlin. The surprise announcement is a visible sign of Samsung refocusing its attention on Windows. Additionally, Samsung is strengthening its relationships with U.S. mobile carriers and developing new technologies to further erase any similarities to Apple. A spokesperson for the Korean giant said, “Samsung has been in talks with major U.S. carriers to jointly develop modified design technology. This will be effective, though we can’t unveil more details for the time being.”

Samsung’s new phone, called ATIV S (pictured), features a high-end 4.8-inch display, Corning’s Gorilla glass, an 8-megapixel rear camera, a 1.9-megapixel front-facing camera and more.

Meanwhile, the legal war is far from over.

Samsung confirmed reports that it will immediately sue Apple should it release any phone that used advanced long-term evolution (LTE) mobile technology, a standand increasingly considered the best in the industry and for which Samsung owns several patents.

Samsung also received the go-ahead to speed up its U.S. battle against Apple. Against opposition from Apple, U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh granted much of Samsung’s request and gave Apple until Aug. 31 to file its opposition to the stay and until Sept. 7 to oppose lifting the Galaxy tablet injunction.

On Dec. 6, Koh will preside over a hearing to determine which (if any) Samsung products will be blocked from sale in the U.S., along with other issues. Apple has asked her to ban eight Samsung smartphones that the jury determined infringed Apple’s intellectual property.

Samsung had previously issued a statement that said, “We will take all necessary measures to ensure the availability of our products on the U.S. market.”As the Korean Times reported, Samsung Electronics chairman Lee Kun-hee granted full authority to vice chairman Choi Gee-sung to take charge of one of the biggest technology patent disputes in history. “Be well prepared to cope with it,” Lee was quoted as saying.

Officials also said that Samsung has been preparing “all measures for all scenarios” to fight Apple. The companies are facing off in at least 50 patent disputes in 10 different countries.

Related links:

Korea Times – Samsung set to strike back against Apple

Phone Arena – Samsung will sue Apple immediately if it releases an LTE device, allegedly partnering with Microsoft to cut dependency on Android

Courthouse News Service – Apple-Samsung Case Goes Into Hyper Drive

International Business Times – Samsung Appeal On Apple Verdict? Not ‘Til Dec. 6, Judge Rules

Reuters – Samsung steals march on Nokia with first Windows phone

Samsung – IFA 2012 showcase

Microsoft blog – Introducing Samsung’s First Windows Phone 8 Device

 

 

 


Comments are closed

Get Adobe Flash player